Go Green with Guardian
Green by Design
Protecting the environment is everyone’s responsibility and Guardian Storage has been proactive for over a decade with a positive “green” approach. Guardian Storage relies on advice from our LEED accredited architect with a thorough understanding of green building practices and principles. We invite all of our customers to join us in our approach to caring for the environment and becoming Green by Design.
- Guardian Storage’s sustainability program extends through all operations. Guardian has a high standard of environmental stewardship as demonstrated by our commitment to developing properties close to existing residential and commercial areas and near alternative transportation while minimizing site disturbance wherever possible.
- Guardian Storage has converted and reused five existing buildings for our current Shadyside, Oakland, North Hills, Washington,PA and Strip Distric area locations. By extending the life cycle of existing buildings Guardian has reduced its impact from construction on the environment.
- Steel used to construct our secure self storage units contains recycled content and reduces the impact resulting from processing and extracting raw materials from the earth
- Guardian Storage properties utilize water efficient landscape design.
- Limited plumbing and low water use plumbing fixtures are installed at Guardian Storage properties.
- “Dry” fire protection systems are installed at Guardian Storage properties and are designed to only disperse water to specific areas when needed for fire protection.
Energy & Atmosphere:
- Guardian Storage has insulated climate controlled self storage units that are isolated from the outside by non climate controlled units creating an air curtain which further reduces energy consumption.
- Lighting systems in sores utilize timer switches or motion sensors to turn on lights only when occupancy dictates, thus reducing energy consumption.
- Primary lighting used at each self storage property is high efficiency fluorescent.
- White walls are used in our self storage buildings to naturally brighten storage spaces and hallways to minimize the use of light fixtures.
- Large energy saving Low-E windows are utilized in all Guardian Storage offices. Low-E windows use thin a thin coating between two glass panes that greatly reduces heat transfer through the glass.
Materials & Resources:
- All computers utilized by Guardian Storage are EnergyStar® rated.
- Guardian Storage has reduced paper consumption by upgrading to a centralized server and increasing the use of electronic information.
- Many of the Guardian Storage properties are built with a highly reflective roof that reduces heat island effect. The heat island effect is an increase in temperature in metropolitan areas due to increased levels of human activity.
- Guardian Storage works to reduce it’s carbon footprint by partnering with many local companies throughout our communities to reduce shipping and transportation distance.
Indoor Environmental Quality:
- Our self storage buildings are designed to incorporate access to daylight and views that have been found to be an important element of human well being, supporting mental health, productivity, and a connection to nature.
- Guardian Storage incorporates thermal comfort point into our design. The temperature controlled environment of our leasing office, business centers and climate controlled self storage spaces increase comfort.
- Increased outdoor ventilation improves indoor air quality and tenant comfort.
- All Guardian Storage properties provide tenants with an onsite location to leave broken-down cardboard boxes. These boxes are available for use by other tenants or are recycled to reduce waste in our landfills.
- By partnering with Evolution E-cycling Guardian Storage offers everyone within the community a location to drop of electronic equipment including computers, cell phones and non-freon containing appliances for recycling.
Get More When You Store.®